So I got the day off of work today for Columbus Day. But mostly I think the U.S. office closed because HQ in Toronto is celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving and there would be nobody home. Otherwise, I don’t think I have ever worked anywhere that closed to celebrate the 1492 pseudo-hero.
Naturally I felt the need to use at least some of my time wisely today to understand the context of Columbus day and why we STILL celebrate…even thought we know Columbus didn’t discover America and that he did some pretty horrifying things to the Native American population.
I think we just like a shopping holiday.
But here is an entertaining and informative video from last night on CBS News:
- Columbus Day//Canadian Thanksgiving from Reality Refracted (realityrefracted.com)
- Columbus Day – October 8, 2012 (spiceofyourlife.wordpress.com)
- Columbus Day 2012: Hero, villain or both? (whas11.com)
- Five things you can put off because it’s Columbus Day (al.com)
- Happy Columbus Day (bargaineering.com)
- D.C. parking restrictions lifted for Columbus Day (wjla.com)
- 68th Annual Columbus Day Parade To Make Its Way Up Fifth Avenue (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Happy Columbus Day! Or not. (slog.thestranger.com)
2 thoughts on “An Irrelevant Holiday Celebration: Columbus Day”
Reblogged this on Country Mouse in the Big City.